plasma-mid (Mobile Internet Device)

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 19:14:51 CEST 2008

On Monday 25 August 2008, Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz) wrote:
> Hey!
>
> 2008/8/24 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> > 5. create artwork for all this specific to the devices
> > 6. research!
>
>   Just my 2 cents: our experience with n810 shows that end users tend
> to like interfaces "thumb-friendly", so it would be great If we could
> imagine an UI that the user could use mainly with his thumbs and just
> use stylus for minor interactions.
>
> Cheers!

also what i noted myself, i always end up holding it like  a console
gamepad :)
so for a thumb-friendly interface probably the bar we had in mind that
switches between application laucher applications and other stuffs would be
better vertical like hildon?
but maybe also at the bottom would go, it just really needs to be done and
tested...
i would make that bar with a kind of a tabbar like we talked at akademy that
switches between various containments in the main view
with the first tab selected as default that is a launcher, big icon grid
iphonish maybe a bit less dumb, categorized, with contacts stuff like that

maybe one with widgets like a desktop, maybe yes maybe not still don't know
and a third that has another icon grid representing the running applications,
switching task would be two clicks but a very big target.

and then the systray look alike and that's it wouldn't put other stuff in it.

i think we should also pay attention to make a default layout that would look
usable both for an horizontal screen and a vertical one with height<width
now, i don't know if n810 graphics drivers support rotation of the display or
not, but is still something important i think.

Cheers,
Marco Martin