plasma-mid (Mobile Internet Device)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Aug 25 14:09:09 CEST 2008

On Monday 25 August 2008, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 25 August 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > hi all..
> >
> > Control Bar
> > =======
> > this will contain a title for the current application and buttons for
> > home, put away and quit. it will also contain on the right hand side the
> > MID system tray, which actually won't really be a system tray as much as
> > a place for really small applets (battery, network status, etc).
> >
> > Ivan has worked on a similar concept for a project he is working on; it
> > is in playground/plasma/applets/embedded-ivan/titlebar/ .. we should look
> > into Ivan's work here.
>
> thoughts on control bar..
> should be a containment always on top

either way we can fake this by simply reserving a strut so the windows don't
overlap. to keep it easy, we might want two separate Plasma::Views, but it
also might not be necessary.

*looks at the Plasma::View code some more*

hm. so we really have two options:

* one View, one Containment, that has a bar at the top; this means we'd have
to special case:
	* the boundingRect for the wallpaper so that it doesn't paint on the full
containment, but the containment's rect minus the bar
	* switching between sets of applets below the bar (launcher, dashboard, in-
canvas "apps")

* two Views, two Containments: top View is for the control bar and icon area.
everything else becomes straightforward code wise, we just end up with a few
more objects to deal with in memory, though in context this shouldn't be a
deal breaker.

the two Views is probably easier and cleaner.

> like a panel that contains 2-3
> applets, ve talked about a kind of tabbar that switches, betweenthe
> launcher, a widgets area, running application list etc...

yes...

> so i was thinking (and half implemented) about a tabbar that switches
> between the available containments that are shown in the main view (heck
> this thing would be nice also in a desktop)
> a problem i have for that is how to reliably retrieve the main fullscreen
> view and not pick the wrong one, like trying to switch the containment in a
> panel :)

this is obviously easer in plasma-mid as there is only one view and so we can
build in some assumptions.

in the general case, you want to look through the containments for a
containment that is containmentType() != PanelContainment; just setScreen() on
one of them that has screen() == -1 and the rest will magically happen for
you.

humru othro a kohnu se