System tray rewrite ready for review

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Aug 24 14:52:36 CEST 2008

On Sunday 24 August 2008, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Sunday 17 August 2008, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> >> I'm fairly happy with the state of the rewrite and so am requesting that
> >> it be reviewed for moving into trunk/kdebase. There's not much that it
> >> doesn't fix and not much work left to do, but no show stoppers as far as
> >> I know.
> >
> > some thoughts/comments:
> >
> > * i wonder if the core/ code shouldn't actually become a dataengine at
> > some point. for now it's ok and probably good to keep it internal to the
> > applet until we're sure about the API and structure
>
> Is passing QGraphicsWidget*s from a data engine possible? If so, then it

it's *possible* but in this case i don't think it would be pretty. perhaps we
should instead aim for providing the new icons via an engine (as they are
primarily data) and just keep the current fd.o based one as is.

> > i'm running the new tray now and the first time i started it, it showed
> > no icons.. it's the right size, just no icons showing. the debug output
> > shows that the FDO icons are being detected, embeded, etc:
> >
> > plasma(13085) SystemTray::FDO::GraphicsWidget::paint: embedding into
> > PanelView ( 75497651 )
> >
> > but nothing is actually visible =/ looks like a similar issue to Sebas
> > perhaps, and i'll see if logging out/in helps any.
>
> I really dislike temperamental bugs. I'll try scouring through again and
> look for size/placement issues this time. Why can't bugs just occur
> every single time? :(

it was because of the restarting of the timer in the paint event; i fixed it a
few days back now and it's working reliably for me now.

humru othro a kohnu se