System tray rewrite ready for review

Jason Stubbs jasonbstubbs at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 14:03:54 CEST 2008

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 17 August 2008, Jason Stubbs wrote:
>> I'm fairly happy with the state of the rewrite and so am requesting that
>> it be reviewed for moving into trunk/kdebase. There's not much that it
>> doesn't fix and not much work left to do, but no show stoppers as far as
>> I know.
>
> some thoughts/comments:
>
> * i wonder if the core/ code shouldn't actually become a dataengine at some
> point. for now it's ok and probably good to keep it internal to the applet
> until we're sure about the API and structure

Is passing QGraphicsWidget*s from a data engine possible? If so, then it
might be a good idea to do it earlier than later. A shift to a data
engine should shake out at least some design issues and it might also
make the joining with the notifications applet easier.

> * i think the entries (such as the author) in the .desktop file need some fixing
> ;). i've made some adjustments already here and will commit shortly.

I didn't touch that file other than to rename systemtray to
systray-refactor. ;)

> * the plugin name probably shouldn't be systray-refactor; it's ok for now
> while it's in playground, but when it moves we will want to rename it to
> systray and remove the old applet. i'd suggest making that change now rather
> than later, actually. i've made some adjustments already here and will commit
> shortly.

Yep, no worries. The main reason I had it separate was so that I could
be able to quickly change between system trays while coding initially.

> * we need to start thinking about merging this widget with the notifications
> widget...

I've commented on the main thread about this. :)

> i'm running the new tray now and the first time i started it, it showed no
> icons.. it's the right size, just no icons showing. the debug output shows
> that the FDO icons are being detected, embeded, etc:
>
> plasma(13085) SystemTray::FDO::GraphicsWidget::paint: embedding into PanelView
> ( 75497651 )
>
> but nothing is actually visible =/ looks like a similar issue to Sebas
> perhaps, and i'll see if logging out/in helps any.

I really dislike temperamental bugs. I'll try scouring through again and
look for size/placement issues this time. Why can't bugs just occur
every single time? :(

--
Jason Stubbs