System tray rewrite ready for review

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Aug 20 14:43:45 CEST 2008

On Sunday 17 August 2008, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> I'm fairly happy with the state of the rewrite and so am requesting that
> it be reviewed for moving into trunk/kdebase. There's not much that it
> doesn't fix and not much work left to do, but no show stoppers as far as
> I know.

some thoughts/comments:

* i wonder if the core/ code shouldn't actually become a dataengine at some
point. for now it's ok and probably good to keep it internal to the applet
until we're sure about the API and structure

* i think the entries (such as the author) in the .desktop file need some fixing
;). i've made some adjustments already here and will commit shortly.

* the plugin name probably shouldn't be systray-refactor; it's ok for now
while it's in playground, but when it moves we will want to rename it to
systray and remove the old applet. i'd suggest making that change now rather
than later, actually. i've made some adjustments already here and will commit
shortly.

* we need to start thinking about merging this widget with the notifications
widget...

i'm running the new tray now and the first time i started it, it showed no
icons.. it's the right size, just no icons showing. the debug output shows
that the FDO icons are being detected, embeded, etc:

plasma(13085) SystemTray::FDO::GraphicsWidget::paint: embedding into PanelView
( 75497651 )

but nothing is actually visible =/ looks like a similar issue to Sebas
perhaps, and i'll see if logging out/in helps any.

humru othro a kohnu se