System tray rewrite ready for review

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Aug 18 15:15:41 CEST 2008

On Monday 18 August 2008 14:02:15 Jason Stubbs wrote:
> Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Sunday 17 August 2008 19:53:33 Jason Stubbs wrote:
> >> I won't be around much over the next week as I'm moving, but I should be
> >> back to my regular "squeeze in an hour or two each day" by next weekend.
>
> It seems I'll continue to squeeze in an hour or two while preparing to
> move too. ;)

heh, sorry :>

> > Positioning and background seem to be messed up here. See the screenshot.
>
> I've reproduced the positioning issue (it depends on the theme) so will
> work on a fix for that, but can't reproduce the background issue. Does
> the background work correctly in any situations at all?

Right now, the background looks OK (i.e. black). I'll attach another
screenshot. Positioning is indeed the most important glitch right now. Maybe
the rest will shake itself out quickly ... :)

> > Also, when I removed the old systray, and put the new one into its place,
> > the icons wouldn't show up.
>
> I can't reproduce this either. When you say "wouldn't show up", do you
> mean they were taking space but not appearing (aka the qt4.4.1 issue) or
> was the tray simply empty? There should be a fair amount of debug output
> about what's happening internally. How does that look?
>
> Hmm.. Widgets not correctly receiving paint events would explain both of
> the above issues. Can you think of anything you have locally that might
> prevent paint events from being delivered?

Not really, but I'd blame my limited imagination for that, rather than
knowledge of how X11 works.

> > restarting plasma made it show up in the top left corner, logging out and
>  > in again gave me the screenshot results.
>
> Does "it" refer to the tray as a whole? If the icons were sitting on top
> of each other in the top left, it's a Qt issue that I have yet to even
> look at let alone understand. When discarding icons, Qt reparents them
> to the root window before unmapping them. It seems that the unmapping
> sometimes fails.

it might be that Qt issue. It doesn't seem to be pressing since it works OK
right now. (And I won't have enough time for more thorough reports until
somewhen mid next week (not moving, but preps for various travelling
arrangements ..., synchs nicely with you moving :>).

> If the icons were in the top left but laid out correctly, something
> really strange is going on (which I can't reproduce) but I'll scour the
> relevant code for possible race conditions or what not...

All on top of each other (at least I saw only one icon, klipper's).

> > The hide icons option is very useful (and mandatory for people like
> > aseigo, after seeing his systray :>).
>
> That's mostly Sebastian Sauer's work - I just "ported" it. There is one
> thing that's new though. If you add a second system tray, any icons
> hidden in the first will appear in it. The interface is not really
> intuitive with regard to this feature, but the feature is there. :)

Well, both of you are on my hero list :-)
--
sebas