Quota warning dialogue

Jan Kara jack at suse.cz
Wed Aug 13 19:09:47 CEST 2008

  Hello,

  In Linux kernel, there is a thing called disk quotas, it allows
administrator to set for each user maximum amount of space he can use. It
also allows to set "softlimit" which can be exceeded but only for a limited
period of time. When user exceeds his softlimit, kernel issues a warning to
the user. This warning is traditionally printed to the controlling tty of
the process. That is not very helpful for graphical interfaces and thus
recently I patched kernel to send the warning also via netlink and then in
userspace there is a deamon (quota_nld, part of quota-tools package) which
relays this message to the system DBUS.
  I was pointed to this list that here I could find some people who'd
implement in KDE displaying of such message on users desktop. So is
somebody willing to do this?
  The signal on DBUS is exactly: path = "/",
interface = "com.system.quota.warning", signal name = "warning". The
structure of the signal is:
  UINT32 qtype - 0 in case user's quota is exceeded, 1 in case group's
                 quota is exeeded
  UINT64 excess_id - UID / GID of user / group whose quota is exceeded
  UINT32 warntype - this can be
    1 - inode hardlimit exceeded
    2 - inode softlimit exceeded for too long
    3 - inode softlimit exceeded
    4 - block hardlimit exeeded
    5 - block softlimit exceeded for too long
    6 - block softlimit exceeded
    (there are also messages about user getting below limits but I guess it
does not make sence to display dialogue about those).
  UINT32 dev_major - major device number of a device where excess happened
  UINT32 dev_minor - minor device number of a device where excess happened
  UINT64 caused_id - UID of a user who caused the excess (makes sence
mainly when group limit is exceeded, but also when root does chown or
similar cases)

  If somebody has any questions about details, please speak up. Also
technical details about the DBUS message can still be changed since nobody
uses it yet.
								Thanks
									Honza

PS: Please CC me since I'm not on the list. Thanks.

--
Jan Kara <jack at suse.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR