issues with Extender

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 22:32:06 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 05 August 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all... (and in particular Rob =)
>
> my first foray into Extenderland has been ok, though not perfect.
>
> things i've noticed:
>
> * we really need a setWidget(QGraphicsWidget*) in Plasma::Dialog ;)
> otherwise i can just see us writing these same lines of code over and over
> again:
yes, same thing i found today with popupapplet (related to the wrong review
request n 125 :)
sooo, definitely popupapplet will throw away a bit of code and use extender?
(i'm really lagging behind the development these days :)

>         d->calendarDialog = new Plasma::Dialog();
>         QVBoxLayout *lay = new QVBoxLayout(d->calendarDialog);
>         lay->setMargin(0);
>         lay->setSpacing(0);
>         QGraphicsView *view = new QGraphicsView(d->calendarDialog);
>         lay->addWidget(view);
>
>         view->setScene(scene());
>         view->setSceneRect(extender()->mapToScene(extender()-
>
> >geometry()).boundingRect());
>
>         view->resize(extender()->size().toSize());
>
> * we're missing the widgets/grabber svg! i couldn't figure out why i was
> getting no drag handle ;)
the first mockup had the sunken frame iirc (didn't look bad), not sure if
it'll look justright, but could be used that for now?

> * the collapse icon (at least i think that is what it is?) gets shown on
> first show, but eventully just goes away. i think this is probably related
> to not having widgets/grabber in the theme
>
> * when an applet creates an extender, then quits and is restored ... the
> extenders are also restored. this was a bit counter-intuitive at first.
> while writing the code, i didn't expect all extenders to be persistent, at
> least not if the source was the same as the host (e.g. the extender never
> moved). it was a bit unexpected =)

Cheers,
Marco Martin