extender api review round 3

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Fri Aug 1 22:13:37 CEST 2008

Hello,

Once again, I present you with the current state of the extender api. I've incorporated quite some of
the suggestions of the previous round. I'd like to thank everybody who contributed suggestions... The
api is getting quite neat. :) I've also added some stuff that I've encountered to be necessary while
porting the kuiserver applet to the new api:

- a geometryChanged() signal in  Extender, so you can change your applets size hints when the extender
size changes... which brings be actually to a more general problem in plasma: qgraphicslayout. In the
current situation, when you add a layout to your applet, and insert some stuff, the sizehints of the
applet containing the layout are not updated... leading to the infamous 'layouts can grow outside the
borders of an applet' issue. I've actually seen some applets in trunk setting the sizehints manually,
but isn't this something that should be handled automagically? I can't think of a situation where you
want different behavior. QGL doesn't have any signals that notify a change of size hints so how would
such a thing be accomplished. Any suggestions?

- A virtual saveState function that gets called on extenders when plasma exits, and is used to save
stuff like the position within the extender, so that can also be recovered.
'
After some major breakages at first, I'm glad to say that most things actually work quite well again.
There are some rough edges, but it works. Except for some issues I'm having with getting popup applet to
work with an extender... hopefully I'll be able to fix this problem soon. Should I check this stuff into
svn? It's still far from perfect and a bit buggy, but it's basically working and it doesn't break any
other stuff since with the current api, it's not really invasive.

I'm looking forward to getting some feedback on the current api.

Cheers,
Rob Scheepmaker