After KDE 4.1 release: GHNS and other issues

Jamboarder jamboarder at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 18:15:12 CEST 2008

> From: Riccardo Iaconelli <riccardo at kde.org>
> Il Thursday 31 July 2008 09:09:56 Kelly Miller ha scritto:
> > Why?
>
> Because with external C++ applets distributed on kde-look we will face the
> same problem that we're facing now - uninstallable applets show up and users
> get confused.

What I don't understand is why the kde-look GHNS feed should expose C++ applets at all.  It seems like the GHNS feed should only feed from the category/filter of installable widgets that don't need compilation.  If we don't already have it perhaps it might be helpful to use language that differentiates between installable applets that don't need compilation and applets that do. This might allow for a separate categories (or some such filtering) on kde-look.

> C++ applets should really be only released with kdeplasma-addons

Some plasmoid developers would really like to use all the power the C++ plasma API provides and may not be interested in distibuting them in kdeplasma-addons.  Any such developer already knows and accepts that their widget can't be installed via GHNS since it has to be compiled.  As a user, if you're compiling code downloaded from internet you're already accepting the security risks (no different than for non-plasma apps).

I guess I'm not really seeing the reason to discourage C++ applets since they cannot be functionally installed via GHNS anyway and the security risks of the user compiling C++ applets are no different than for any other piece software.  The incentive for writing scripted applets is inherent in the fact that they CAN be installed via GHNS.  It seems, to me at least, that the incentives/disincentives for scripted vs C++ applets already exist structurally.

Andrew (Jamboarder) Lake