Phonon's backends to JACK.

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Mon Jun 13 02:54:13 CEST 2011

On Sunday, June 12, 2011 14:45:28 Mark Constable wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 03:32:21 PM aCOSwt wrote:
> > => I am trying to make so the other backends (vlc and gstreamer)
> > output to Jack.
> > Well well... Some help would be... hmmm... helpful !
>
> I'm using KDE 4.6.4 and trying to do the same thing as I don't want
> Pulse on my system at all.

That is still perfectly possible with phonon-gstreamer. My system does not
have PulseAudio on it at all. (Before people start asking, it's simply for the
same reason that I switched from aRts to aKode during KDE 3.5: I require
exactly 0 features of a sound server -- it's not a knock on PA directly).

My distribution happens to support the ability to elide PA. If yours doesn't
natively you might want to consider switching to one that allows you do to
this without much agony on your part.

Either way, you should still be able to configure gstreamer itself to output
to alsa-dmix instead of PA by default, no?

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne