Adding spatializer to Phonon?

Colin Guthrie phonon at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Feb 22 10:32:35 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Harald Sitter at 21/02/11 22:24 did gyre and gimble:
> Aloha!
>
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 9:27 PM, tim <tej at melbpc.org.au> wrote:
>> - Would you agree with this? Would Phonon be the right place to add a
>> spatializer? If not, what is a better place?
>
> No. The actual frameworks/libraries as used by the backends should
> have this, or if all fails one could also do it in the individual
> backends (given the underlying framework/library actually allows that
> sort of manipulation to the audio stream). What Phonon could and
> should do though is expose such functionality to the
> applications/user. For this we already have an interface ...
> BackendCapabilities::availableAudioEffects(), so if you want to have a
> quick success for starters you could try to expose VLC's existing
> spatializer (I hear libvlc_audio_filter_list_get is a related function
> needed there ;)).
>
> I am pretty sure GStreamer also has such a thing amongst its billion
> billion plugins, so you could easily cover the two important backends
> on Linux.

And just to keep my PA theme going, there could be ways and means of
implementing this in PulseAudio so that all Linux backends would benefit
(although this may be overkill if it's supported in GST+VLC already).

If it was implemented in PA, it could be done as a virtual sink (like
equaliser support and AEC already is), or perhaps you could just
configure a LADSPA sink (I'm not sure as I don't really know much about
LADSPA).

I need to get the multi-channel LADSPA stuff merged now I come to think
of it....

Cheers

Col