Adding spatializer to Phonon?

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Mon Feb 21 23:24:20 CET 2011

Aloha!

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 9:27 PM, tim <tej at melbpc.org.au> wrote:
> - Would you agree with this? Would Phonon be the right place to add a
> spatializer? If not, what is a better place?

No. The actual frameworks/libraries as used by the backends should
have this, or if all fails one could also do it in the individual
backends (given the underlying framework/library actually allows that
sort of manipulation to the audio stream). What Phonon could and
should do though is expose such functionality to the
applications/user. For this we already have an interface ...
BackendCapabilities::availableAudioEffects(), so if you want to have a
quick success for starters you could try to expose VLC's existing
spatializer (I hear libvlc_audio_filter_list_get is a related function
needed there ;)).

I am pretty sure GStreamer also has such a thing amongst its billion
billion plugins, so you could easily cover the two important backends
on Linux.

regards,
Harald