phonon-vlc on Mac OS X

Haiko Schol hs+phonon at zeropatience.net
Thu Sep 2 19:42:08 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to get phonon-vlc working on Mac OS X, so far with little success.
First of all, is phonon-vlc considered stable enough on Windows and Mac to
be used in an application that needs to run 24/7? Because if it is not
there yet,
I'd rather spend time on integrating libVLC directly into my app.

If it is however, maybe you can help me with getting it to play video. :)
I managed to build a phonon_vlc.dylib with some poking at cmake generated files.
Both the current git version and the 0.2.0 release tarball built with
these steps:

$ git clone git://gitorious.org/phonon/phonon-vlc.git (or unpack tarball)

$ cd phonon-vlc

$ mkdir build && cd build

copy lib/*, plugins/* and include/* from VLC.app to $CWD

$ export CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES="i386;x86_64"

$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=bin DCMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=include
DCMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH=lib DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=releasefull ..

edit vlc/CMakeFiles/phonon_vlc.dir/link.txt
	- remove "-bundle"
	- add "-dynamiclib"
	- change output name to phonon_vlc.dylib
	- add "-framework QtXml"

$ make

After that, I wrote a minimal Qt4 app that puts a Phonon::VideoPlayer inside a
QMainWindow and plays a video. This app was turned into a self-contained bundle
with macdeployqt. I put the phonon_vlc.dylib inside the app bundle in
Contents/PlugIns/phonon_backends and all the vlc libs (and its plugins
dir) inside
Contents/Frameworks. Starting this test app from the command line yields:

WARNING: bool Phonon::FactoryPrivate::createBackend() phonon backend
plugin could not be loaded

So my question is; What is the right way to do this?

Regards,
Haiko