[Phonon MPlayer] The correct vo device on windows?

Ben Lau xbenlau at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 08:17:06 CET 2009

Hi,

I am trying to use phonon mplayer backend on a Windows XP machine ,
but it was not able to play any video. It complains:

<vo_direct3d>Could not read display capabilities

As SMPlayer work perfectly on windows , I have studied their source
code and find the following lines:

#ifdef Q_OS_WIN
		if (QSysInfo::WindowsVersion == QSysInfo::WV_VISTA) {
			proc->addArgument("direct3d,");
		} else {
			proc->addArgument("directx,");
		}
#else

Seem that it should use directx as video out device on windows xp. I
have patched the phonon mplayer backend to check with WindowsVersion
to choose the correct vo device. Then it is working!  However, as I
don't have any Vista machine , I can not check is it work on Vista
too.

The patch is attached in the email for your reference.