Some general issues with Phonon...

Tanguy Krotoff tkrotoff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 21:04:58 CEST 2008

>  If you're going to use the Phonon out of KDE why not use KDE (if only
>  for development purposes)? KDE is on Windows.
>  Sounds like you're just asking for trouble trying to use KDE's Phonon
>  without KDE.

Phonon is already included with Qt-4.4. Compiling latest Phonon svn
without KDE is not a big deal, just a few modifications.

Did you try to compile KDE on Windows? 5h later you have 5GB taken +
all the bugs :p
If Phonon only depends on Qt, it takes almost no time:
- install Visual Studio tools or MinGW (like every Windows devs)
- install Qt
- install CMake
- compile latest Phonon
- then you start coding and you have more time for this

Other argument is that Phonon is very interesting for Qtopia, WinCE
(there is now Qt for WinCE), embedded platforms in general (mobile
phones, maemo, pda...).
For sure this will be the next "market" as the IPhone shows it. That's
probably why Nokia bought Trolltech.
KDE won't go there. Does Phonon want to share the same KDE
limitations? Does KDE (kdelibs) bring a lot to Phonon?

And from a Windows XP user point of view, KDE under Windows is far
from being a clean solution:
- takes a lot of HD space
- a lot of background processes
- slow application startup
- memory hole
- complex in general
- no standard Windows installation process

A pure Qt app on the other hand, is perfect under Windows.

For example: Amarok is a must have under Linux. I don't think under
Windows it will get the same popularity for these reasons.
Future will tell us :)
I think KDE Windows will only be popular if they solve these difficult issues.

To summarize, KDE Windows feels a bit wrong like iTunes Windows or Picasa Linux.

Btw, about DragonPlayer, are you interested to have a Qt only support?
i.e ifdef Solid, typedef KAction, KApplication, modify CMakeLists.txt...
You will gain good Windows integration (-> 90% of the market).

--
Tanguy Krotoff <tkrotoff at gmail.com>
+33 6 68 42 70 24