Phonon

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Oct 24 18:23:25 CEST 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007, Thierry Bastian wrote :
> Thanks for the clarification. GPL /LGPL have indeed non obvious
> implications.
Yes, indeed, so in my very humble understanding, if there is an official
back-end and you install VLC+backend, and it is possible to choose
backends from the app PoV, an application non-GPL could use the generic
phonon API to use VLC, that is GPL and will stay GPL.

That is why I asked my first question about the possibility to choose
back-ends.

> >> I guess a directshow back-end would be great but will not solve the
> >> problems of codecs conflicts...
> Not even talking about conflicts, my main concern is also the simple
> presence of a codec for a specified media. The goal being to simplify our
> users' life, how can they for example embed a help video if they don't know
> in which format they can ship it? This will not be addressed for Qt 4.4.
Yeah, I know that. VLC has a different approach, which takes with him
all the codecs he needs and doesn't use external codecs...

Anyway, I subscribed to the list, and I'll discuss with the team, but i
am definitively interested in the project.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/