Phonon design in general

Håvard Wall haavardw at ifi.uio.no
Wed Jul 4 20:16:24 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 17:30:12 Matthias Kretz wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 July 2007, Håvard Wall wrote:
> > From my point of view 50K is well worth some efforts. Your size
> > measurements for QtCore and QtGui looks about right to me, they're big,
> > and that's why we need the qfeature system to let the customer reduce the
> > library size. I don't think it's fair to compare the size of phonon to
> > the size of Qt. If you compare individual features within Qt you'll find
> > that even the largest feature (graphics-view) is less than 300K.
> >
> > I believe the idea of moving "utility" classes into a separate library
> > might be a good idea, but we should probably create some use-cases for
> > how a programmer will be using phonon to see what classes might be
> > disposable in most cases.
>
> How about a feature system for phonon? That would let us keep phonon as one
> lib on all platforms and on embedded you could disable some stuff if you
> need the size...

Yes, we can always add the feature stuff. I see using the feature system as a
last resort for the user though. It only makes sense if you're sure about the
features that all applications need and it removes all binary compatibility.
If you're ever going to upgrade or allow new applications to be installed,
removing features from the library is probably something you want to avoid.

--
hw