Phonon and video for linux (v4l)

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Thu Oct 5 17:27:14 CEST 2006

On Thursday 05 October 2006 15:05, Detlev Casanova wrote:
> > There are Xine, NMM and Avkode backends. A GStreamer backend was just
> > started. I don't think there will be any more backends than that and I
> > think one of Xine or Avkode will die at some point (in order to not
> > spread our little forces too much).
>
> So GStreamer seems to be the best choice but as I can see, phonon-xine
> already exists in the KDE SVN repository and seems ,nowadays, to be the
> most developped backend....

Yes, I'm mostly working on the Xine backend these days, but that will stop
soon as xinelib doesn't provide enough features for Phonon. Still the NMM
backend is one of the most advanced ones currently.

> Why would Xine backend die ?

1. We don't have many multimedia developers and I don't want to waste their
time working on too many backends.
2. xinelib doesn't have enough features and is only meant for rather simple
playback tasks

> By the way, GStreamer doesn't seem to support v4l which is a handicap for
> what I'm up to do.

Hmm, NMM supports v4l from what I know. For GStreamer there must be v4l
plugins somewhere - I can't believe nobody has worked on this before.

> > Streaming == Using the v4l interface for Video-Chat / VoIP+Video?
>
> By streaming, I mean get images from a webcam for every use (Video-Chat,
> VoIP, Video, Photos (just get a snapshot) and so on. )

If you were to implement this for the Xine backend you'd implement AvCapture
and VideoDataOutput and some infrastructure in Backend and VideoPath. The
code could then easily be reused for the Avkode backend as well (perhaps even
make it a shared lib for the two backends).

Do you want my help telling you which backend to work on? :-)

--
C'ya
        Matthias
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de