Phonon and video for linux (v4l)

Detlev Casanova detlev.casanova88 at laposte.net
Thu Oct 5 17:05:23 CEST 2006

> NMM: http://www.networkmultimedia.org/

Ok, thanks.

> It's like this:
>
> [...]
>
> So a Phonon backend can make use of GStreamer (or NMM or Xine or whatever
> else might make sense, DirectX on Windows, QuickTime on MacOS). Phonon is
> only a comparatively simply multimedia API while the backend is the adaptor
> between the Phonon API and a (full featured) media framework.

Ok, thanks. :)

> There are Xine, NMM and Avkode backends. A GStreamer backend was just
> started. I don't think there will be any more backends than that and I
> think one of Xine or Avkode will die at some point (in order to not spread
> our little forces too much).

So GStreamer seems to be the best choice but as I can see, phonon-xine already
exists in the KDE SVN repository and seems ,nowadays, to be the most
developped backend....
Why would Xine backend die ?

By the way, GStreamer doesn't seem to support v4l which is a handicap for what
I'm up to do.

> Streaming == Using the v4l interface for Video-Chat / VoIP+Video?

By streaming, I mean get images from a webcam for every use (Video-Chat, VoIP,
Video, Photos (just get a snapshot) and so on. )

Detlev.