Phonon and video for linux (v4l)

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Wed Oct 4 14:53:46 CEST 2006

Hi Detlev,

from what I know it should be possible to support v4l in a gstreamer or NMM
based backend without adding code that directly accesses the v4l device(s).

There are the xine and avkode backends which could make use of such an
addition though as neither xine nor ffmpeg provide means to work with v4l.

Implementing v4l in its own backend would result in a backend that can only be
used for v4l and nothing else, i.e. no audio/video playback would work.

Coming back to the backend idea: I think you understood that Phonon can make
use of multiple backends at the same time, right? This is not the case. One
application can only use one backend at a time and as such every backend
should be as full featured as possible.

From the little I know about v4l I'd say start with v4l2 and when that's done
you can still take a look into v4l1.

What features were you thinking of implementing? I'd start with displaying the
v4l video stream in a VideoWidget (Xv/XShm/OpenGL/whatever) and then look
into implementing VideoDataOutput (which needs some API love first, though).

--
C'ya
        Matthias
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de