[Parley-devel] Features in next version of Parley

Anša Vernerová ansa211 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 21:59:42 UTC 2014

Hi!

> The forgetting curve stuff is from a variety of papers on spaced retrieval
> and memory persistence from before my laptop went kaput.

You people are amazing. Your laptops burn down and go kaput and you
still invest so much time and effort into making parley even better!

I have recently downloaded 30-something papers from the internet that
matched the words "spaced repetition". If you think that the
"collection" could be useful to you, I can zip them and share them
(all were freely available). I am planning to read them and to extract
the interesting bits into some kind of a survey, but that will take
time.

Concerning the construction generator based on regular expressions: I
see how it also naturally leads to the "grade individual words in a
sentence" idea that you have mentioned before. While I was thinking of
automatic analysis of sentences provided by the user or possibly even
automatically extracted from some collection of texts (which could be
done, albeit only for some languages and with tools and data that go
beyond parley), you have sentences for which you actually know what
items they consist of. If the user does not insist on getting
reasonable audio output, this way of generating simple constructions
should be pretty "safe" in terms of generating "natural" examples,
too.

Anša