[Parley-devel] Re: sound played incorrectly; counting the answer as right; removing images

Massimo Lo Iacono massimol at inventati.org
Fri Feb 25 17:34:30 CET 2011

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 08:30:05 +0100
Frederik Gladhorn <gladhorn at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 20. January 2011 22.57.27 Anša Lauschmannová wrote:

> > 0) the bug: the last part of the sound file is not played
> >
> > During the practice as well as in the editor mode, when I click the button
> > for playing a sound file associated with a translation, the last bit of the
> > file is cut off. It is usually about half a word long... This did not occur
> > with the previous version 0.9.3.
>
> This is a bug with KDE on Windows in general. Please file a bug on
> bugs.kde.org. You could also try to select a differnt Phonon backend in
> Systemsettings.

I use Lubuntu GNU/Linux and I experienced the same problem with .mp3 and .wav sound files but not with .ogg files. With this type of files it works correctly.

> > Also, I do not like the fact that in the flashcard practice mode, there is
> > no option to play the sound, an in the written practice mode, the sound is
> > not played automatically.
> Please file a Parley bug on bugs.kde.org, this should be easy to fix.

I can work to fix these points.

> > 2) counting the answer as right
> >
> > With version 0.9.3 (as it was in Windows KDE 4.4.4), it was easy to use the
> > written practice as flashcard practice: look at side 1, press "Show
> > solution", and the press either "Continue" or "Count as right". Moreover,
> > all this could be done with the arrows and Enter from the keyboard, which
> > is much quicker and more comfortable than using the mouse. I was using
> > this a great deal, actually filling in the answer only in the cases when I
> > was not sure about the spelling or when I was practicing long sentences.
> > In the version 0.9.4 (as it is in the Windows KDE 4.5.4), the original
> > "Count as right" is divided into two steps: clicking onto the right/wrong
> > image to change from count_as_wrong to count_as_right, and then pressing
> > Space or clicking on Continue. I did not find any way of "clicking" the
> > right/wrond image from the keyboard. Would it be possible to set up
> > keyboard shortcuts for "count as right" and "count as wrond", for example
> > Space and Enter or Alt+R and Alt+W or simply something along those lines?
>
> I believe we have a keyboard shortcut which was done improperly (alt+x if I
> remember correctly). It should be added to the list of normal keyboard
> shortcuts and made configurable.
> Be so kind as to write it on bugs.kde.org :)

In my system I can use ALT-T to switch right/wrong image as long as SPACE and ENTER shortcut to affect the click of "continue" button. I think it would be more confortable to use the SPACE shortcut to switch right/wrong image and only ENTER shortcut to click "continue" button. I can work to make this.

Massimo Lo Iacono