[Parley-devel] Re: sound played incorrectly; counting the answer as right; removing images

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Sun Feb 20 08:30:05 CET 2011

On Thursday 20. January 2011 22.57.27 Anša Lauschmannová wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a happy user of Parley on Windows; I have currently updated from 0.9.3
> to 0.9.4 (in Windows KDE 4.5.4). I would like to report one bug and make
> several suggestions which would make my Parley experience even more
> enjoyable (although that is hardly possible, I really like it!):
>

> 0) the bug: the last part of the sound file is not played
>
> During the practice as well as in the editor mode, when I click the button
> for playing a sound file associated with a translation, the last bit of the
> file is cut off. It is usually about half a word long... This did not occur
> with the previous version 0.9.3.

This is a bug with KDE on Windows in general. Please file a bug on
bugs.kde.org. You could also try to select a differnt Phonon backend in
Systemsettings.

> Also, I do not like the fact that in the flashcard practice mode, there is
> no option to play the sound, an in the written practice mode, the sound is
> not played automatically.
Please file a Parley bug on bugs.kde.org, this should be easy to fix.

> 1) removing images:
>
> quite correctly, the system is set up so that when an image is added to one
> of the languages, it assumes that the same image should be added to it's
> translation in the other languages; however, there seems to be a bug, so
> that
> 1a) when I use some form of automatic completion, only the part of the
> image address which I enter before using the automatic completion is
> copied to the path relevant to the translations;
> 1b) I have not found a way of clearing the image path in all of the
> translations: I clear it for language1, click on the language2 translation
> of the same item, clear the image path for language2, click on the
> language1 translation - and the image path is filled in! It seems that
> again, the system is assuming that it is a good idea to use the image if
> it is filled in at least for one translation (with more languages and
> different images set for different translations, it uses the image of the
> language that I look at after clearing the field for language1)
>
> To me, the most friendly solution would be the possibility to set up the
> programme so that it always keeps the image the same for all translations
> of the item, including a change in the form of the kvtml format:
> currently, the <image> tag is separate for each translation, which seems
> to me rather unnecessary, taking into account that usually it's either
> filled in only once, or it is the same for all translations.

Please file Parley bugs/feature requests on bugs.kde.org.

> 2) counting the answer as right
>
> With version 0.9.3 (as it was in Windows KDE 4.4.4), it was easy to use the
> written practice as flashcard practice: look at side 1, press "Show
> solution", and the press either "Continue" or "Count as right". Moreover,
> all this could be done with the arrows and Enter from the keyboard, which
> is much quicker and more comfortable than using the mouse. I was using
> this a great deal, actually filling in the answer only in the cases when I
> was not sure about the spelling or when I was practicing long sentences.
> In the version 0.9.4 (as it is in the Windows KDE 4.5.4), the original
> "Count as right" is divided into two steps: clicking onto the right/wrong
> image to change from count_as_wrong to count_as_right, and then pressing
> Space or clicking on Continue. I did not find any way of "clicking" the
> right/wrond image from the keyboard. Would it be possible to set up
> keyboard shortcuts for "count as right" and "count as wrond", for example
> Space and Enter or Alt+R and Alt+W or simply something along those lines?

I believe we have a keyboard shortcut which was done improperly (alt+x if I
remember correctly). It should be added to the list of normal keyboard
shortcuts and made configurable.
Be so kind as to write it on bugs.kde.org :)

Thanks for the feedback!
Greetings
Frederik