[Parley-devel] Re: A pair of ideas...

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Sun Feb 20 08:39:29 CET 2011

Hi Massimo,

On Thursday 17. February 2011 15.00.47 Massimo Lo Iacono wrote:
> For my personal use I wish implement these two functionalities:
>
> - an "Type of Question" option with these possibilities:
>
>      ° only text
>      ° only sound
>      ° both
>
>   to permit exercises with only sound recognition of the word.
>   This refere only with the possibility to listen the sound at
>   the start of practice and not influence the presence of button
>   of sound.
>   Now exist an "sound" option but appears not working.

sounds good.

> - an "use of Espeak" option (or other analogous word synthesizer
>   system):
>
>      ° Use of Espeak
>        ° only if not exist the sound file
>
>   to permit exercises with sound also when audio files are not
>   available.
>   I am conscious that natural sound of words is better than
>   synthesized but when the first is missing, the second can
>   be useful specially if the synthesizer machine is of good
>   quality.
>   This can also permits listen of sound joint with
>   ExampleSentences practices.
>
>   Because I'm not an experienced QT/KDE programmer, I ask if
>   exist a QT/KDE manner to execute an external program in a
>   QT/KDE program. Thanks for help.
>
> What you think about?

So far I did refrain from doing that since I don't like the idea of using
synthesized language. But if you want to spend time on it, I'll try to help.

For running other programms you will probably want to look at QProcess. But in
this case I would actually recomment checking what Jovie does (part of
accessibility, kde's text-to-speech app) and maybe making a library of the
needed parts for using a speech synthesizer. I will check it out the next days
since this is an interesting question for myself currently.

We can also discuss on IRC some time. Find Daniel (dani_l) and me (fregl) in
#kde-edu on freenode some time.
I won't be much online before Thursday since I'm pretty busy now.

Greetings,
Frederik