[Parley-devel] Test Images

Daniel Laidig laidig at kde.org
Mon Apr 26 22:23:01 CEST 2010

Hi Frederik,

On Monday 26 April 2010 18:47:20 Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> Hi all,
> I hope this helps us get some feedback for our latest "Practice Redone"
> attempt. I couldn't get around to it earlier. The images are created using
> the awesome Suse Studio together with their Buildservice.

Wow, I didn't except so see that happen while you are at the conference. ;)

Awesome!

> Please let me know if these work for you. I tried to be as broad as
> possible. The links will only be valid for a week and I cannot test them
> as I currently have close to no internet connection. Even creating them
> took some effort.
>
> Disk Image (usb sticks):
> https://susestudio.com/download/9a09afb81bb0864c432ed8d2a15a96f7/Parley_Uns
> table.i686-0.0.1.oem.tar.gz

Enthusiastically I downloaded this, happy to have found some use for some old
1 GB USB stick because 470 MB should fit quite well. Well, er... The 1.6 GB
size of the uncompressed image let me throw the thing right back into the
stash of old stuff where I got it from. ;)

I have some other 4 GB one I don't need any more and I'll try after verifying
that it still saves data correctly. The mechanical shape and the weirdness in
the past make me assume otherwise.

> VMware Image:
> https://susestudio.com/download/98fe833c8f4d9b965060726226291e2f/Parley_Uns
> table.i686-0.0.1.vmx.tar.gz

Next try. The bees are awesome, you got me there. I like it and it hasn't even
booted yet. ;)

> Live CD:
> https://susestudio.com/download/705428e7fc5993c4c04f84d7c86ae56e/Parley_Uns
> table.i686-0.0.1.iso
>
> the images are around 400-500 MB and feature a KDE snapshot from last week.
> (Live CD being 399 MB, the others 470 MB)
>
> I'm not entirely sure the links can be accessed by everyone. If not, please
> let me know, then I'll have to put them somewhere else. (Beginning of next
> week)

Works fine. If we need somewhere to put them, I have unlimited traffic
(whatever that means) which I don't use at all. ;)

> This is very much work in progress, but still, if you see obvious
> brokenness (there is lots of it), maybe write us.

- Nepomuk errors because of missing Virtuoso. Not nice but I feel right at
  home. ;)

- I see a themed welcome screen so the build must be quite recent. But I still
  got the html error in GHNS. Shouldn't this be fixed?

- Enabling the keyboard layout tray icon by default would help (and adding the
  layouts for the most common languages).

- Some files (from GHNS + our feature test document) should be downloaded and
  in the recent files list.

- Add a parley icon to the desktop/panel/whatever. ;)

- Maybe install a browser, either Konqueror or rekonq. This way, your computer
  is still useful when running the image.

- What about having a notes plasmoid with ways to contact us and give us
  feedback?

As the Suse Studio screencast promised modifying the image should be quite
easy and I think it would be worth the effort to polish it before blogging
about it. Btw, is there any way to collaborate in Suse Studio?

This is going to be awesome. :)

Cheers,
Daniel