[Parley-devel] Interest in improving parley with voice for vocabularies

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Tue Mar 24 21:45:19 CET 2009

Hi Thomas,
welcome to Parley development!

On Monday 23 March 2009 11:31:17 Eitzenberger Thomas wrote:
> Hi "List",
>
> As my lady is at the moment starting to learn english she is in desparate
> need to get support also on pronounciation...
>
> As any need of my lady is also a need for me I would be willing to join you
> on adding this to parley...
Hehe :)

> Option 1) Add the voice files itself to parley
> Option 2) use wictionary as outlined on parley todo page
I think using wiktionary (yeah, there's a K in it) is the way to go.
The great benefit of using it is that it allows everyone to access these
files.
They should be recorded by native speakers as far as I know, just something to
keep in mind.

> Add 1) I would be willing to record my voice for this purpose and walk
> through the 1330 files of the english section
>
> Add 2) It would mean retrieve the html file for the vocabulary at hand and
> parse the html for the english link to the ogg file if any is on that
> page.....
Since Avgoustinos summer of code project it is easy to extend parley with
scripts.
I'd try to go that way to fetch the ogg files from wiktionary. There is one
script that fetches images from google already and adapting it to fetch sounds
from a wiki should be quite doable.
The script could either set the url to the remote file or download the file.
Let me know if this sounds like a viable solution.

Greetings,
Frederik