2 Minor Ideas for Plasma

Thomas Georgiou tageorgiou at gmail.com
Fri May 30 00:41:10 CEST 2008

Hi
Here are my random thoughts about some aspects of plasma:

1) Resizing the panel vertically -
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080529-hands-on--plasma-continues-to-advance-in-kde-4-1-beta-1.html
"Although the new system makes it easy to change the panel's width and
position, I couldn't figure out how to get it to adjust the panel's
height—a task that was relatively easy with the last prerelease that I
tested. This is a regression that will likely be fixed before the
final release." - This reviewer could not discover how to resize the
panel vertically.
  2 ideas that could make it easier:
     1) make the top of the panel draggable instead of the top of the
configuration dialog
     2) add horizontal arrows pointing to the place that is draggable
in order to show that it exists (arrows = resizing)

2) Some applets cannot yet/will not support some form factors like 3rd
party widgets will not support panels and the dict applet does not
support panels yet.  To avoid confusion to the user, it might be
desirable for applets to have a list of form factors they support.
Then, for example, when they are being dragged to the panel, the mouse
cursor will change to the not supported action one (cancel icon or
something) and the user will not be allowed to drag it to the panel.\

Thomas Georgiou