Creative direction of plasma

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu May 29 12:07:34 CEST 2008

Le Thursday 29 May 2008, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> On Thursday 29 May 2008, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > > are not designed from a scalability perspective, etc.
> >
> > Not fully sure what you mean here. In particular in the "etc." part. ;-)
>
> think of all the things we expect from a standard plasma widget from a
> look, feel and interaction perspective. then consider how nearly none of
> these things are realistic with a kpart. we can get close, but close isn't
> close enough ;)

Well, I think my position on this was summarized by what I wrote in the first
mail:
"Of course, a nice sideeffect from that is that we could get more attention
from people not necessarily very involved in plasma, and spread some more
visual consistency with the desktop on those applications."

I think the path I had in mind was:
 - manage to embed a kpart in a plasmoid (technical proof of concept);
 - target at making on of those (file view, or frame) as close as possible to
our goal without modifying the kpart;
 - adjust the kpart so that it fits the plasma feel and interaction model
(hence matching the goal).

My take is that it'd bring nice things to our applications out of plasma too,
and make the whole user experience more consistent.

Actually, I'd be tempted to give it a try with gwenview in a playground. You
know all that whole R&D idea that makes me wet.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."