root-tail and plasma

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 29 10:22:05 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 28 May 2008, Jeibie H wrote:
> is there an option to allow the ouptput of root-tail to be viewed in
> the root window of kde4?
> (I was told that plasma handles the root window).

you really don't want to use root tail. it's a hack to work around the
limitations of previous desktop systems that did not allow for anything
beyond simplistic icons.

there is a file watcher applet in extragear that is probably mostly there for
this purpose already. it looks like it needs porting to 4.1 api at the
moment ... i've done this now and will commit later on.