Creative direction of plasma

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Tue May 27 19:19:35 CEST 2008

Hi Nuno,

Thanks for the mockup.  It is interesting but I really think that the
process of making a complete mockup and then implementing/discussing it
has not been the best approach because there is a lot going on in that
one screenshot.

For example, things to discuss in that mockup include:

1. The functions to be provided by the folder view
2. The layout of the folder view, including
	- The layout of icons in the main view section
	- The title
	- The available controls and how they work from a function pooint of
view
3. Colour scheme
4. Visual effects and aesthetic

(1) and (2) are the most important aspects to get right and this is
something which needs input from UI designers and users.  They are not
as subjective as (3) and (4) which as you rightly say, everyone will
have their own strong opinion on.  We can clearly reason about who is
going to use the applet, how we expect them to use it and what they
should be able to do with it.  From those requirements a suitable layout
can be designed, taking your input on aesthetics into account.  The list
of requirements in (1) is a textual-description and the layout can be
described using a really rough and simple black and white 'wireframe'
with no colours, gradients or other distracting effects.

In your mockup you have done all of steps (1-4) above.  If there is a
problem with the basic requirements and features of the applet or the
layout then that wastes your effort afterwards.  Since you have
presented a complete layout it is difficult to now discuss any changes
to it.  It looks like a "completed" concept in which you have invested a
lot of your own free time and I can quite see that you would not want
anyone to insist on major changes to it.

So what I really want to see happen is more collaboration on those first
two points to try to find an agreement on (1) and (2).  The developers
and artists can then work in parallel to implement it and I hope with
much less friction between the two parties.

Regards,
Robert.