KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/containments/folderview

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Mon May 26 04:47:17 CEST 2008

On May 25, 2008 12:18:01 Loïc Marteau wrote:

> However i think that watever you do with the actual folderview plasmoid,
> at the end, you will have usability/looking issue with user that will be
> a little confusing with the border of the plasmoid to manipulate the
> file icon.

what?
I don't see anything confusing about applets having borders, and I don't
understand what that has to do with icons.

> Perhaps the solution is to mix what Sebastian says by doing a fullscreen
> plasmoid and rethink the inital idea of having the possibility to have
> different places to show.
>
> For 4.2 is it possible to work on a new fullscreen plasmoid based on
> folderview where user can config different places to show ?

it's possible right now. it's called a "containment". folderview will be a
containment sooner or later. you're free to write your own containment if you
like. :)

> The idea is to show multi folder, called "places", in only one
> fullscreen plasmoid instead of  having multi-plasmoid with one folder
> for each.
>
> Each "places" should be put where the user want inside the fullscreen
> plasmoid.

now it sounds like you're re-implementing applets inside of applets. this is
part of what applets are *for* - having lots of things on your desktop
instead of just one. I'm not sure why you're trying to avoid that...

> There is a mockup that have done a ubuntu/gnome user that can show what
> can be the result (the initial idea of the mockup is not really the same
> thing that what we are talking but it give an idea of what i'm mean) :
>
> http://flickr.com/photos/7449355@N06/2329133852/

if you want to implement something like that, go right ahead. :)

I think having a bunch of folderviews (and other applets) would be much more
flexible, though.

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com