KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/containments/folderview

Loïc Marteau loic.marteau at gmail.com
Sun May 25 21:18:01 CEST 2008

Ok, i know that i'm not a dev but i'm feeling very concerned about the
way Kde4 is taking, since i'm very fan of things that happen with plasma
and that i'm sure that it will a desktop revolution.

I think that initial idea of Aaaron is very great : We don't need icons
for a ~/Desktop folder (if you do that you will have documents not in
the right place) but we need to easily show the contents of some (why
not shared if you work in team) folders depends on what we are working
one, by the time.

So the idea to have "places", highly configurable, that we show on the
desktop is very great

However i think that watever you do with the actual folderview plasmoid,
at the end, you will have usability/looking issue with user that will be
a little confusing with the border of the plasmoid to manipulate the
file icon.

Perhaps the solution is to mix what Sebastian says by doing a fullscreen
plasmoid and rethink the inital idea of having the possibility to have
different places to show.

For 4.2 is it possible to work on a new fullscreen plasmoid based on
folderview where user can config different places to show ?

The idea is to show multi folder, called "places", in only one
fullscreen plasmoid instead of  having multi-plasmoid with one folder
for each.

Each "places" should be put where the user want inside the fullscreen
plasmoid.

There is a mockup that have done a ubuntu/gnome user that can show what
can be the result (the initial idea of the mockup is not really the same
thing that what we are talking but it give an idea of what i'm mean) :

http://flickr.com/photos/7449355@N06/2329133852/

Best regards, i hope than this can help to progress in the discussion
(sorry to loose your time if not),  even if the idea is not accepted in
final

Loic