KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/containments/folderview

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun May 25 12:50:25 CEST 2008

On Saturday 24 May 2008, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> On 5/24/08, Fredrik Höglund <fredrik at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Saturday 24 May 2008 14:53, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> > > SVN commit 812032 by ruphy:
> > >
> > > Before we make a contaiment out of it (are we going to make it for 4.1
> >
> > with the freeze?), and we're able to choose it,
> >
> > > at least add an option to make folderview's background transparent, so
> > > it
> >
> > doesn't hurt your eyes. ;-)
> >
> > > Not sure about what doing by default, but I guess I'll keep it opaque
> > > (as
> >
> > it is now), so people understand that is a
> >
> > > plasmoid.
> > >
> > > ACK'd on review board by logixoul.
> >
> > Hi Riccardo,
> >
> > When we discussed this patch on IRC yesterday, I pointed out that:
> >
> > 1) You can't add new UI strings when we're in message freeze.
> > 2) The applet should call setBackgroundHints() in constraintsEvent(),
> > not init(), and that there's already a commented out call in that
> > function that disables the default background.
> >
> > Aaron also said that he preferred it if we solved this problem by making
> > the applet background translucent in the default theme.
>
> That's art issue, I don't want to sound harsh... but it's not really his
> field. =)
> Plus, we're currently redoing that background...
yeah, the new background (at least the last iteration i know of) is very black
and very opaque ond loooks really nice also because of that.
for most of the applets, especially those myth much text a theme like
glassified that is very transparent is simply a no-no, not enough contrast
and well, it looks odd.
i am for a transparent background just for this applet with this
http://reviewboard.vidsolbach.de/r/17/
(temporary ugly artwork but that's the concept)

or,  maybe even better using that background for a certain category of applets
(let's say big, with more graphics than text) with something like
setBackgroundHints(Applet::LightBackground) so the applet class loads another
svg
how does that sounds?

Cheers,
Marco Martin