Plasma::Service API review

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 15 15:47:36 CEST 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008, Alex Merry wrote:
> - there's a protected setResult() method, but no obvious way for the result
> to get anywhere.

QVariant result() const;

> - The setOperationsScheme() method apidox appears to be for a non-existant
> operationsScheme() method

yes. fixed.

> - Some more details on the operations scheme stuff would be helpful,
> although maybe this belongs in a techbase article.  Presumably the idea is
> that you can programmatically find out what you can do to a service, which
> could be used by a plasmaServiceExplorer, for example.  If so, that's a
> really neat solution to the documentation issue.

yeah, i like it. it provides a way to define allowed value ranges, data types,
whatsthis and tooltips, etc ... anything kconfigxml supports. so... should
work rather nicely.

> Now we just need
> something for Plasma::DataEngine.

;)

> - you example code doesn't match the
> class.  It suggests using an
> "operation()" method, but that doesn't exist.  parameters() has the right
> signature, but I agree with Dmitry's comment about the method being
> ambiguous in intention.

yes, it's meant to get the parameters for a give operation. i went back and
forth on names, actually. i lean towards operation ... but perhaps
operationParameters?

> - the apidox for destination() and setDestination() are completely
> unhelpful - they just replace one word that I don't know the meaning of in
> this context with another.

gr... i thought i updated those dox as well.

> - the apidox for the virtual functions really needs to explain what
> subclasses should do in them

yes...

> - the class apidox needs to describe how to implement subclasses as well as
> how to use it

yes; that's the trivial part though, tbh. i'm more concerned right at this
very moment on the consumer side of it.