Plasma::Service API review

Alex Merry huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk
Thu May 15 12:24:14 CEST 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008 01:00:24 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all..
>
> attached is an API draft for Plasma::Service. i'll let the apidox do the
> talking. questions and criticisms desired.

The KConfigGroup is a neat way of setting parameters.

A few confusing issues:

- there's a protected setResult() method, but no obvious way for the result to
get anywhere.
- The setOperationsScheme() method apidox appears to be for a non-existant
operationsScheme() method
- Some more details on the operations scheme stuff would be helpful, although
maybe this belongs in a techbase article.  Presumably the idea is that you can
programmatically find out what you can do to a service, which could be used by
a plasmaServiceExplorer, for example.  If so, that's a really neat solution to
the documentation issue.  Now we just need something for Plasma::DataEngine.
- you example code doesn't match the class.  It suggests using an
"operation()" method, but that doesn't exist.  parameters() has the right
signature, but I agree with Dmitry's comment about the method being ambiguous
in intention.
- the apidox for destination() and setDestination() are completely unhelpful -
they just replace one word that I don't know the meaning of in this context
with another.
- the apidox for the virtual functions really needs to explain what subclasses
should do in them
- the class apidox needs to describe how to implement subclasses as well as
how to use it

Yes, I know, I'm an apidox nutcase.

Alex

--