Wanted: theme manager

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Mar 21 22:55:06 CET 2008

On Friday 21 March 2008, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Friday 21 March 2008, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >> (I would say, rather, the default theme
> >> should be obviously configurable, where by "configurable" I mean
> >> consists of a sane set of fully-customizable colors. It looks like at
> >> most four are needed.)
> >
> > no, the default does not need to be colour customizable. that is why we
> > provide the ability to *switch themes*.
>
> We do? Oh... ok, it's under 'configure desktop'? And not /anywhere/
> under System Settings... um...

nope, not under system settings. to answer the implied, "why not?" it's
because that dialog is speciic to the DefaultDesktop containment, not generic
to plasma. the idea is to work towards the generic version we envision and
push that out as a kcm only then.

> Incidentally, I tried "heron"... really bad flickering :-(.

during the update? or forever? or?

> And my menu  seems to have gotten lost.

neat.

> > having "must be colourizable" as a
> > requirement for the default really removes much of the benefit of such a
> > highly themable system.
>
> I still think such a theme should /ship with plasma/ (i.e. kdebase).

extragear is "with plasma". we release it along side kde releases.

> Anyway, what is this 'follows the system colors' theme I hear about? I
> don't seem to have found it yet. What's a theme that supposedly does this??

Aya

> > no, the default does not need to be colour customizable. that is why we
> > provide the ability to *switch themes*.
>
> Why *shouldn't* it be, at least the current default theme? As I said, I
> see at most four colors being used. I don't see why it would be so hard
> to make those configurable, i.e. make the current default theme
> customizable.

you're asking the wrong person. i'm the messenger here, the artist is the
author.

> > i can't find them atm, but will be sure to do so in the future.
> > essentially, all of our dark colour schemes seem to give people problems
> > when painting dark() text on a base() background.
>
> Ahh... why is this being done? 'Dark' really isn't meant as a text role
> (it's meant to for "dark" edges of 3d elements), especially when there
> are eight "actual" text roles to choose from. This feels like a case
> where you rather want to either use 'Inactive' or paint the normal text
> color at 50% opacity.

the text is not inactive, however, and i'm concerned that painting it as such
will send incorrect visual cues and look poorly with yet other colour themes.
50% opacity might work ...

but honestly, i was just plain surprised that palettes aren't treated more
semantically. in any case, the docu then need to adjustment (which would
probably screw over others).

e.g., BrightText is documented as: "A text color that is very different from
WindowText, and contrasts well with e.g. Dark. Typically used for text that
needs to be drawn where Text or WindowText would give poor contrast, such as
on pressed push buttons. Note that text colors can be used for things other
than just words; text colors are usually used for text, but it's quite common
to use the text color roles for lines, icons, etc."

doesn't sound like the "dark edges of a 3d element" to me.

and Dark itself is labelled simply: "Darker than Button"

i guess we could move to KColorScheme for greater variety in choices...

i still contend that our palette definitions in Qt are very circumspect.

> >> Hmm, *something* that looks like a theme manager seems to be in
> >> systemsettings...
> >
> > it's a collection of the individual control panels. that's great for
> > tweakers, but it provies no coordination whatsoever between style, deco,
> > colour etc.
>
> Are we looking at the same thing?

nope =)

> I'm looking at "theme manager", which
> sure looks like it sets fonts, colors, widget style, icon theme, and
> even screensaver (I'm a bit dubious on that last one, actually...).

ah, there it is.. nestled in the middle of 6 other items =/ hrm. it seems
rather broken, but yes .. that's edging at least a bit closer ... but sort of
the "other way" around:

these themes are arbitrary collections of colours and various theme plugins to
make a nice harmonized set (in theory anyways =).

what i'm suggesting is letting styles themselves hint what colour schemes work
well with them, for instance. so you don't have to rely on someone else
putting together an ad hoc collection (and hoping that the "right set" is put
together), but that conversely you aren't confronted with lots of useless
options (e.g. colour schemes that simply Don't Work(tm) with a given theme,
or non-Oxygen widget styles for the Oxygen window decoration)