Wanted: theme manager

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 21 22:16:30 CET 2008

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 21 March 2008, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> (I would say, rather, the default theme
>> should be obviously configurable, where by "configurable" I mean
>> consists of a sane set of fully-customizable colors. It looks like at
>> most four are needed.)
>
> no, the default does not need to be colour customizable. that is why we
> provide the ability to *switch themes*.

We do? Oh... ok, it's under 'configure desktop'? And not /anywhere/
under System Settings... um...

Incidentally, I tried "heron"... really bad flickering :-(. And my menu
seems to have gotten lost.

> having "must be colourizable" as a
> requirement for the default really removes much of the benefit of such a
> highly themable system.

I still think such a theme should /ship with plasma/ (i.e. kdebase).
Anyway, what is this 'follows the system colors' theme I hear about? I
don't seem to have found it yet. What's a theme that supposedly does this??

>> (I would say, rather, the default theme
>> > should be obviously configurable, where by "configurable" I mean
>> > consists of a sane set of fully-customizable colors. It looks like at
>> > most four are needed.)
>
> no, the default does not need to be colour customizable. that is why we
> provide the ability to *switch themes*.

Why *shouldn't* it be, at least the current default theme? As I said, I
see at most four colors being used. I don't see why it would be so hard
to make those configurable, i.e. make the current default theme
customizable.

Put otherwise, I don't see what is the problem with making a colorizable
theme be default.

> this is why categorizing such things as "Evil Things" really misses the point.

Um... no, sorry. Something (e.g. webpages) that says "I want your system
text color on a white background" is Evil. Period.

Please note that I specifically said that I *don't* see plasma doing
that. It was just an example.

> i can't find them atm, but will be sure to do so in the future. essentially,
> all of our dark colour schemes seem to give people problems when painting
> dark() text on a base() background.

Ahh... why is this being done? 'Dark' really isn't meant as a text role
(it's meant to for "dark" edges of 3d elements), especially when there
are eight "actual" text roles to choose from. This feels like a case
where you rather want to either use 'Inactive' or paint the normal text
color at 50% opacity.

>> Hmm, *something* that looks like a theme manager seems to be in
>> systemsettings...
>
> it's a collection of the individual control panels. that's great for tweakers,
> but it provies no coordination whatsoever between style, deco, colour etc.

Are we looking at the same thing? I'm looking at "theme manager", which
sure looks like it sets fonts, colors, widget style, icon theme, and
even screensaver (I'm a bit dubious on that last one, actually...).

--
Matthew
I sure hope they never make a hearse out of a Honda Element. I wouldn't