GSoC Idea: better multi-head support

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Mar 21 08:36:08 CET 2008

Le Thursday 20 March 2008, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> personally i agree that this belongs in solid. if Kevin disagrees, however,
> we can aggregate the information anyways in the devices DataEngine.

Well, I don't really disagree, it's just that on our main target it's a pain
to aggregate this kind of information from Solid. AFAIK it requires a
dependency on the running X session, and I really want to keep Solid X free.

> >    The notifier could then offer actions such as: Clone, Presentation,
> >    Media-Player or Advanced Configuration, which would setup the correct
> >    mode using XRandR and if applicable load specific Plasma-containments
> >    or launch the configuration-module.
>
> so essentially merging krandrtray with the devices plasmoid? that could be
> interesting.

At first I thought, "cool". But in fact I'm not so sure. Well, in any case
that couldn't replace krandrtray IMO (or at least the kcm accompanying it)
because it has much more features which couldn't be merged in the device
notifier I think. Now that's probably worth a try (probably in a branch of
the hotplug engine and the devicenotifier applet).

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."