curator for The Ways Of The Plasma?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 13 05:55:25 CET 2008

hi all...

i have what may seem like a slightly odd request:

i'm hoping that there is someone here on this list that could pull out tidbits
from my emails (bonus points for blogs?) and catalog them into a document.
they wouldn't have to do much (or even any, if they didn't feel like it)
editting. just capture the various things that make the Way Of The Plasma.

for example, i recently wrote:

"first, some ground principles:

* plasma is a means to manage collections of widgets that aid workflow
        * implication: plasma is not a drawing program
        * implication: plasma is not a window manager

* interface simplicity keeps learning curves low, interaction speed high, code
complexity down"

this kind of stuff really belongs somewhere that is easy to find.

i write these things fairly often, but usually only in response to a query. i
have this immense internal sense of the Way Of The Plasma (Tao Plasma? ;) but
i am horrible .. i repet, HORRIBLE .. at sitting down and writing it out from
start to finish.

in part, i'm not sure where the start or finish is. in part, i'm too afraid to
take the time it would require away from other things like coding, etc. in
part, i'm just really bad at sitting down and writing documentation for
others. in part, i'm positive i'd miss things including that were obvious to
me, which usually only come out during conversations where someone says, "wth
are you talking about, aaron?"

so .. i'm looking for someone (preferably a non-coder, since i'd like to not
distract those who are producing code) to by a curator of my plasmarations
(plasma orations?). the job would be collecting these bits and pieces and
putting them together by topic.

there'll probably also be bits and pieces to be taken from other's input as
well, i'm sure.

at some point with all the text brought together we'll be able to see:

* the Big Topics
* the Details
* my self-contradictions (huzzah!)

at some point when there is enough content sitting there, we (curator,
$PEOPLE, myself) can then sit down and order things a bit better and smooth
it into a coherent document.

i've written at such length on things like the zooming interface, data
engines, containments ... here on this list and on my blog and i kick myself
daily for knowing that it's mostly being lost to the archive known as the
internet when it really should be colated.

is anyone out there willing to take on this part of the project and be the
official curator?

we can probably host the text on techbase in the Plasma project area.

i have no idea if this is a rational idea or not, but i figured i'd try asking
=)