KDE Opportunities

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 13 03:36:30 CET 2008

On Wednesday 12 March 2008, pinheiro wrote:
> well bffffff... wen I was thinking plasma decorations i wanted to meke them
> reverse form the wiindow decorations, couse in essence plasmoids are very
> difrent from a normal window,,,

and that's fine by me. i like it. others don't. whatever.

> About theming plasmoids..... i never ment for all plasmoids to look alike I
> think a nice set of similar plasmoids would be nice but all of them look
> the same no... Think that kde-look will provide more plasmoids than the
> ones we can bare to look at in a short periud o time... and like
> superkaramba some will fit a style other another and people will chose what
> they like best...

i'd really like to avoid the on-screen-zoo-of-colour-and-shape because it's
absolutely impossible to harmonize them once that happens. widgets should
really have the bare minimum of control over their look and feel. that puts
the control in the hands of libplasma and, ultimately, the user.

the whole "widget author define what the user gets" is not what we're after. i
want to see a cooperation between the two, with the user being allowed to
define their end goal.

otherwise we make it really difficult to just reuse components, especially
across devices where theme consistency is paramount.

> Making them themable is also not a vey good idea IMO, they are really and
> they are extremly themable  just that you have to edit the svg.And in doing

yep.

> so create a new plasmoid. But creating a engine that can change them all at
> the same time is a path to visual disarter. And a much more complex plasma,
> that cuts alot of creative fredom from the artists/codors ...

this is currently *optional* and up to the creator of the theme. so there is
no creative freedom currently being cut. nor will there ever be. colour
theming is up to the svg theme's creator(s). this is also why we allow one to
optionally supply a colors file with the theme.

> Matthew you know how hard it is to make a theme that looks nice in lots of
> color variations and we have a very limited set of widgets, imagine that
> multiplied by infinity cuse thats all you can do in an svg hardtimes
> infinity makes it prety imposible, unless you trim infinite, and that is
> far worst IMO

agreed.