"(no debugging symbols found)" reports

Hans Chen hanswchen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:53:27 CET 2008

Hi,

On bugs.kde.org, you see many tracebacks with the line "(no debugging
symbols found)". As far as I understand, those aren't very useful.
I'm also under the impression that the majority of these reports involve
Plasma and its crashes, and that's why I'm writing here.

As a result, I see many comments that say something along the lines "Please
install the debug packages". I post these myself when I see such a
traceback.
I think it would benefit both the user (who doesn't have to feel dumb ;) and
the developers if this was announced somehow. Just a few sentences in the
right place could reduce the amount of "useless" bug reports.

The most of these reports seem to come from distros such as Kubuntu, so
maybe we can ask the Kubuntu guys to include it in their "How to install
KDE4 guide".
Techbase is a great resource, but I'm quite sure this information already is
there. If that's the case, it's obviously very easy to miss. Maybe Danny
could add a line or two in the next digest (I love those. Just had to say it
:), or do you think a new Dot article is more appropriate?

Just some random thoughts after seeing the *n*:th (no debugging symbols
found) traceback. What do you think?

With best regards,
Hans Chen