Lock/logout interactions

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Mon Mar 10 15:19:28 CET 2008

On Monday 10 March 2008, Celeste Lyn Paul said:
> This is just a crazy thought, but why are the Logout/Quit options in
> Kickoff anyway?  Could we put the options somewhere else (such as
> integrated in to the Desktop or taskbar by default)?
>
> It would require some learning on the user's part, but I think it is worth
> discussing for a moment or two on why we would or wouldnt want to do this.

I bet this is a trick question.  Anyway I'm bouncing off of Solid::Control
again so I'll indulge in a little UI pseuding:

* They are neither multiple-use-per-session actions (like Konsole, Dolphin or
Konqueror app launchers or the taskbar) nor status elements like the clock or
system tray - this makes them second level actions.

* second level actions should be discoverable though, so they are accessible
via a first level thingy (the kickoff launcher) - this excludes to me just
having them on the desktop menu, but could include having them on the
dashboard (if that becomes as accessible as the launcher as it matures).

* Precedent - it's where the user expects to find Leave options

Will