Dashboard feedback

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 6 21:05:43 CET 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Thursday 06 of March 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > it really ought to be a goal imho to get compositing everywhere.
>
>  You mean, you'd like to see every user using compositing soon? I think
> you'd better not expect that.

well, yes. and so it's a "goal", something to work towards.

this is at some level out of our own hands, but i find that when enough people
enunciate their goals clearly, others take up the charge elsewhere as well. i
really don't think that "graphics effects everywhere" idea is really being
taken overly serious in the x.org (both the main project and driver writers)
camp yet.

we'll always have "legacy devices" that don't do compositing, but the free
software ought to be moving towards making such
non-composition-systems "legacy" rather than "some current devices"

this does not obviate the need to address issues that arise right now from the
brokeness of compositing in x.org based systems, but i think it's a useful
goal to have and keep reminding others (not just KDE people) about.