Review Request: disable toolbox for now

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Thu Mar 6 10:34:21 CET 2008

On Tuesday 04 March 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> .. and in the meantime i don't get useful feedback and when it appears
> again it's unsatisfactory.

you get feedback from those who want to use bleeding stuff (the 4.1 unstable
releases, which are snapshoted every week and are not even in alpha state
yet). this is the perfect playground for new stuff. You get the right
audience, the users expect to find new stuff and play with it.

> the thing has improved dramatically since first
> appearing in just about every way, and that's specifically because it's
> been available.

Thats good to know, but on the other side there would be a lot less pressure
on improving it in just about every way when it wouldn't be the first thing
new users stumble over.

> > I'd say there are very few KDE 4.0 users right now, so it would not yet
> > harm or confuse a lot of people.
> if we aren't concerned because there are few users, then it's a moot point
> in total.

No. There are many distros coming out within a month or two and they will have
this broken plasma thingie for a half a year or at least a year (until a new
version of the distro comes out). If you don't care that the first major
shipment of KDE4 by almost all still-KDE-shipping distros out there will have
a "Break my desktop" button on there by default, popping into the eye of the
new user as one of the first things to notice then I really don't know what
else to say.

(Another sad story: the black on black color in the ALT-F2 dialog. It is been
there that way for 4.0.2, it is there for 4.1 trunk, there have been multiple
bugreports about all closed as will-be-fixed later with no usable workaround
for any user available so far).

if you don't realize that while upstream experimentation and development and
feedback from upstream users is fine, you fuck off every other plain normal
KDE user, then there is really nothing more to say for me.

> > it is harmful though if it overlays with the panel or in xinerama
> > configurations.
> how, exactly? if it overlays with the panel you just can't get to the
> toolbox (there's a proposed fix for this, but it needs to be improved on).

well, it looks like its there but you can't reach it.

> in xinerama configurations, i don't see the problem (well, now i don't
> after having fixed reported bugs with xinerama set ups).

it slides out when you move between screens, which doesn't make sense.

Greetings,
Dirk