Interested in Plasma SoC

Joe Burns jburns05.phate at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 08:03:40 CET 2008

I just wanted to clarify some things so I know exactly what I should be
working on. I should also mention that I'm a bit of a Qt4/KDE newbie :-).

It was mentioned that the Upload class is hopefully going to be moved to KNS
by 4.1. What is keeping this from happening? Is there anything that can be
done to assure that this happens for 4.1?

Plasmagik is essentially a GUI that applications can add to easily package
and upload content to kns. It should vary depending on the PackageStructure
that it is being passed.

2008/3/5 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:

> On Wednesday 05 March 2008, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> > > application itself. =)
> >
> > In the library, you mean, right? ;-)
>
> yeah, kpart-like.
>
> > Plasmagik functionalities must be accessible from any apps.... remember
> our
> > chats?
>
> i wonder how we should best go about exposing the functionality. do we
> have
> use cases defined for this, with which to design the API/interface for
> plasmagik against? for unpacking, listing packages, etc it certainly needs
> be in a library (we have classes for that in libplasma, of course), but
> what
> are the package creation use cases? is it mostly "design studio" type
> applications?
>
> to create a package, Plasmagik needs:
>
> * a PackageStructure (or a PackageStructure rc file)
> * an optional base directory to start in
>
> does the host application need to be notified when packaging is complete?
> or
> is that something that plasmagik itself can handle without having to
> report
> back (making it more like a fire-and-forget assistant dialog?)

 I basically have the same questions.

One of the goals of this project is to remove assumptions based on the
plasmoid package structure. Currently, plasmagik forces you to add both
"pics/images" and "code/main.js". I assume that this is based on the
plasmoid structure and we want a more general GUI that can adapt based on
whether the user is creating a wallpaper, SVG Theme, etc. How will the
application pass to the GUI what type of package it wants to make? Based on
the PackageStructure that gets passed?