The stupid toolbox

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 13:51:21 CET 2008

On Wednesday 05 March 2008 05:21:09 Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 March 2008, Michael Rudolph wrote:
> > When I think about how a ZUI could work, the picture that most
> > often comes to my mind is that of a map. I can zoom in and out and
> > I can pan around. But instead of displaying cities, mountains and
> > rivers, I'm navigating through all my projects that live as
> > plasmoids on my map.
>
> [...]
>
> > moving around all your projects. A textual list of all projects,
> > for example (cf. task-oriented kickoff) or a visual aid like
> > current pagers or gimp's navigation window.
>
> ++here :)
> No idea if there exists something like a brainstorm/idea page but I
> am pretty sure a lot of great things can be made out of such
> "view-plugins". As far as I got it, it's not only the desktop that is
> a plugin but also the view you have at them and ZUI is just the first
> planned plugin there.
>
> Well, we will see I guess :)
>
> > Well, actually there are reasons, but would you rather be an asylum
> > for socially-challenged geeks or an asylum for socially-challenged
> > geeks, that creates kick-ass software?
>
> hehe. Maybe solution 3; bunches of geeks that creates kick-ass
> software + someone who's able to transform water into beer + a
> neverending spring of pizza!

Hello Sebastian,

I'm not sure if a brain-storming page would be such a good idea. A more
interactive medium that allowed for more direct back-and-forth
discussions might be better suited at the moment.

The problem that I see, is that Aaron has told us about his vision for
years, mainly through his blog, but people either didn't listen or were
not able to read between the lines, which many times was surely
necessary to understand. So now we're facing a situation where hardly
anybody is understanding what is going on. You can clearly see this,
when you look at the work that is currently done here on the list.
Panels and icons, give my a break; the eighties called: they want their
user interface metaphors back.

So what would help in my point of view was, if we engaged in stimulating
discussions to set a mood here on the list (and later let it seep
through through blogs into the wider community), that finally would
bring us all on the same page. And only then, when we are able to have
educated discussions about what a humane interface could look like,
should we start to collect ideas, perhaps on a wiki page.

I can only imagine what such a page, created today, would look like. I
don't think we would be amused.

michael