The stupid toolbox

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 4 19:15:48 CET 2008

On Tuesday 04 March 2008, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 of March 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 March 2008, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > >  I have only one aesthetic issue with the toolbox - it is there. Please
> > > fix that and I'm pretty sure this whole time-wasting discussion can
> > > stop. Even
> >
> > ah, now we get to the hostage taking part of the conversation: "do what i
> > say and nobody gets hurt." let's just not go there, ok?
>
>  Why? I didn't tell you how to do that, and this wasn't wasting only your
> time. It took only several weeks to get you from not-going-to-happen

maybe i wasn't clear enough:

* the toolbox will not have a "remove this toolbox" option added to it
* containment specialization is there to provide for infinite flexibility

nothing has changed in the plans. what has come of it is:

* more people have shared their pain points (that's good)
* people figure they understand everything that's happening and therefore grow
needlessly concerned
* i'm trying to figure out just how much of my time i can rationally spend
explaining archetectural issues to people

really, i just want people to have a small amount of trust here that:

* we're listening to your pain points
* we're adressing those as we can
* we're not stupid
* that short cut solutions are really not the answer

the proof of these points are that:

* pain points are being dealt with as anyone can see by tracking svn
* when i put aside the couple of hours to explain every relevant archetectural
issue, people go, "oooh! now i get it"
* right now i'm dealing with yet more breakage on xinerama due to the "Make
panels sizeable!" quickies that went in

maybe i should just change my priorities from "working on code" to "educating
the world on the architecture". and yeah, i'm serious about that.