task-oriented kickoff

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 21:16:35 CET 2008

Hello everyone,

while we're at the task of improving kickoff, I'd like to tell you my
thoughts of what should be improved about kickoff and my ideas for how
it could be done.

Currently kickoff is an application launcher interface and thus, in my
point of view, is putting the spotlight on the wrong items of our user
interface.

Instead of making kickoff be about applications, why not let tasks take
center stage in the start-menu? After all, it's tasks that we really
want to get done when we use a computer, applications are just the
necessary means to do it with current technology.

There is already a lot of interesting technology in place (since win95,
in fact), so the transition from an app-centric user interface to a
task-centric one could be evolutionary, rather than revolutionary,
which is a good thing in my book.

For starters we could put the recent documents tab up front. This is as
good as it currently gets in terms of giving users access to their
current tasks and projects. I'd also rename the tab to "current tasks".

We could start to give better descriptions in applications' .desktop-
files. So instead of having "Word Processing" in kword's file, we would
put "Write a letter" or "Write a resumé" in there and launch kword with
the appropriate "--template" option. (and of course use descriptions
instead of application names in kickoff).

This is of course just a first step, a very easy one though. I also have
ideas for further steps, that, although lacking intimate knowledge of
plasma's inner workings, I'd still call easy, too.

But first I'd like to hear your comments. Are we on the same page with
task-centric user interfaces? And would such a first step be feasible?

michael