kickoff highlight -- please help

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 3 20:09:36 CET 2008

Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> Hello Artists!
>
> Panel-devel need your help.  We've been trying to come up with ways to make
> full-width hover on the kickoff menu look nice.  It would be awesome if you
> could help us out and come up with some ideas and sample mockups.
>
> These messages have screenshots or links to screenshots with sample ideas of
> the full-width hover:
>
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/panel-devel/2007-November/002888.html
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/panel-devel/2008-February/007819.html
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/panel-devel/2008-February/007822.html
>
> Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to make it look a hella lot
> prettier than we managed to do it.  Something shiney and sexy that can
> complement the shiney and sexy that oxygen is bringing to KDE everywhere
> else.

I'm not sure it's as "shiny" as you want, but have you considered
calling the style menu-item drawing code directly? This way you would
have parity with the active style, rather than imposing a potentially
out-of-place oxygen look on items. (In fact, there may be usability
reasons why this is the only "correct"/"acceptable" - from a u7y
standpoint - solution.)

--
Matthew
There are lies, and damn lies... and then there is marketing